The Aim of the Course is to:
Provide the candidate with the basic knowledge and practical skills involved in Asphalt Re-Instatement.
The Objectives of the Course are to enable delegates to:
- Be able to operate the machine safely and correctly in accordance with manufacturers’
- instructions and accepted good practice.
- Carry out a pre-shift inspection.
- Be able to operate safely under varying site conditions.
- Have sufficient knowledge and practical skills to successfully complete the NPORS Technical Test.
Who Do We Recommend Attends The Course?
All personnel that are involved in Asphalt Re-Instatement.
Candidates will participate in theory lessons and practical demonstrations / exercises, all of which are highlighted by the use of OHP & Videos covering;
- Pre-shift Inspection: Battery (+ spare), LPG Supply, LPG Bottles (Security & Leaks), Electrical Connections, Wheels (position & free running), Hand Tools, First Aid Kit, Fire Extinguisher (dry powder or CO2), PPE, GCB 99, GCB78, Sprayer, Grit, Patching Material, Chippings.
- Check Area for Debris and Contamination. Set out Road Works signs, Guards / Barriers, Lighting to Roads & Street Works Requirements.
- Set Height of Heaters, Position Wheels, and Move Heater to working area. Ensure Safety of Machine and Personnel, Open LPG Supply Valves and Check for Leaks.
- Light Heaters & Ensure all Burners are Operational, Position Heater over Patch Area, Set Timer Control.
- Remove heater and place over next patch if required. Rake Surface within 100mm of Edge. Apply Rejuvenator (GSB 99) evenly at Recommended Rate, Roll Surface to Correct Compaction and Level, Apply GSB 78 evenly. A Minimum Cooling Period of 1 Hour Must Elapse Before Opening Roadway to Traffic.
- End of Shift Procedures: Turn Off heaters and allow to cool, Ensure LPG Cylinders are turned Off, Check Equipment for Damage and Report any Defects, Stow all Loose Items Securely, Clean any Residue from Equipment, Manoeuvre Equipment onto Trailer or Hitch to Towing Vehicle, On Return to Depot Replace any Used LPG Cylinders and all Other Components, i.e. GSB 99, GSB 78 etc
Health & Safety Training / Testing
If the Health & Safety Test is Successfully completed & passed prior to taking the NPORS Assessment this will be added to the operator card.
Testing / Certification
All candidates will complete the Full (Theory & Practical) NPORS Technical Test and on successful completion will be issued with a NPORS Operators Card.