The Aim of the Course is to:
Provide the candidate with the basic knowledge and practical skills involved in operating a Brush/Strimmer.
The Objectives of the Course are to enable delegates to:
- Be able to operate the machine safely and correctly in accordance with manufacturers’ instructions and accepted good practice.
- Carry out a pre-shift inspection.
- Be able to operate safely under varying site conditions.
- Have sufficient knowledge and practical skills to successfully complete the NPORS Technical Test.
Who Do We Recommend Attends The Course?
All personnel that required to operate a Brushcutter or Strimmer.
Candidates will participate in theory lessons and practical demonstrations / exercises, all of which are highlighted by the use of OHP & Videos covering;
- Safety Awareness Session covering: Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, Sections 2-7-8 2 Provision & Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1992 3. R.I.D.D.O.R. Regulations 1995 4. Personnel Protective Equipment Regs. 1992
- Pre operational checks: Petrol Driven Strimmers & Brush Cutters:- Correct fuel mix. Spare fuel in an approved container. When re-fuelling let engine cool, keep away from any source of ignition and wipe away any spillage. Are all safety guards in place and in good repair? Check harness; adjust to the optimum position for use. Are the correct starting procedures adopted?
- Electrically Powered Strimmers: – Strimmers have been PAC tested in accordance with current regulations – All cables are Free from cuts – Safety Cut Out is connected to mains supply.
- Operation: Strim a designated patch of grass or weeds etc. Is the operator alert and observant in regard to pedestrians and especially children who may be harmed by flying debris. If appropriate does he place warning signs before commencing work? Is the work carried out in a logical and methodical sequence? Change blade or Strimmer cord as is necessary.
Health & Safety Training / Testing
If the Health & Safety Test is Successfully completed & passed prior to taking the NPORS Assessment this will be added to the operator card.
Testing / Certification
All candidates will complete the Full (Theory & Practical) NPORS Technical Test and on successful completion will be issued with a NPORS Operators Card
Companies who are CITB Levy Payers can claim grants to cover some of the costs of the training.